Friday, March 12, 2010

Foodie Friday… Squash Bisque

Foodie Friday Logo 2 

Friday again and time to visit michael at  designs by gollum.

Here you will find a list of all the Foodies for today.

Roy and I are both on strict diets and so I am looking for recipes that are easy to digest and low in calories.

Squash Bisque

2 tablespoons  olive oil

1 medium  onion, chopped

1 1/4 pounds yellow squash, thinly sliced

1 cup diced carrots, about 2

2 large Yukon potatoes, peeled and diced

4 cups fat free chicken broth or vegetable broth

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves

dash of paprika

salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, heat oil and sauté onion until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add the squash and sauté, stirring, about10 minutes.  Add carrots, potato and chicken broth.  Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 to 40 minutes or until veggies are tender.  Add thyme,paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 8 ( 1 cup) servings.    You can substitute two ( 10 oz.) packages of frozen squash for fresh.

We tasted this soup in a nutrition class and it is great even if you are not dieting .

 

We are off to the Houston Rodeo and to see Toby Keith……I can’t wait, he is one of my favorites.   We have chute seats and with those seats you get to go down on the arena floor and sit right in front of the stage,  so I am taking my new camera……Toby , here I come.

new signature

12 comments:

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Barbara so nice to meet you. Glad you found my site and joined me. I am now your newest follower...
Love your site and looking forward to getting to know you.
Lucky you headed for the Houston Rodeo to see Toby.
You are going to love his show.
Have fun
Maggie

Beth said...

I love bisque. In the fall I make as many different kinds of butternut squash bisque as my family can tolerate!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Thanks for the recipe, Barbara. Have a great time at the rodeo and concert!
Lookin' forward to photos!
xoxo
Donna

FILIGREE MOON said...

Hope you have a great time at the show! ~ Angela

Irma's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Barbara! Thanks for stopping by. Your recipe sounds sooo yummy. I will need to give it a try.
Hope you have a great time at the Rodeo.

Irma :)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

The soup sounds great, Barbara! Thanks for the recipe. And have a wonderful time at the rodeo. Fun that you get to see Toby, Keith, too! :-)

I'll be MIA for a few weeks and didn't want you to worry...

XO,

Sheila

Sue said...

I love all kinds of soup, always glad for a new recipe. Have fun! Toby Keith was spotted in our little town at Wendys a few years ago.

SmilingSally said...

Oh, this sounds good.

Have fun at the rodeo, Barbara!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Mmmmmmmmm...........I LOVE squash and this sounds delish!

Hope you enjoyed the rodeo... :-)

Huggies,
Spencer

Denise Marie said...

Hope you had fun at the Rodeo. My family and I are going this week just to the carnival and exhibits. This is our Spring break week. I blogged about ya...

http://denisemarie-bloomin.blogspot.com/2010/03/100th-post-its-give-away.html

Cindy said...

LOVE squash bisque! Thanks for the recipe! Cute blog, love your banner. I just sent ya an email too! Fun to find ya!

hugs,
c
yapping cat
(and paper cowgirl).

red.neck chic said...

Goodness - I hope you waved to Toby for me!!! I'm green with envy! I'm going to go sweet talk "the mama" into making this for me - you have my belly rumblin'!!!

I hope it was a BLAST at the concert!!! Can't wait to hear your story and see the pics!

;-) robelyn