Saturday, January 31, 2009

Little Man is Gone

I think it is my fault…..His mother was very nervous, so I penned them up in a pen.  The problem was other little goats could get and out.  I also think , looking back that she just didn’t have enough milk .  She also had a bad habit of pawing him with her foot, which appeared to be to keep him very close to her.

I have never had a goat act like her and so I didn’t watch close enough to hopefully have saved him.  Roy gets on to me and says nature must take its course, but it is hard on both of us when we lose a goat. If the mother doesn’t calm down, she may go on the auction block.

Today is the day for” worming”.  We have a helper coming and hopefully he will not be afraid of the goats.  We have had one or two that were afraid to grab them.  We will see!  We run them in a shoot and each goat must be given liquid wormer by mouth, the number of ccs  determined by their size.  This is not one of our favorite days………

Our other project for the day, which will start at 7:00am is to plant 2 45gal Bald Cypress trees at the lake house.  This is not going to be an easy task.  Roy is taking the small tractor out there on a trailer to lift the trees of another trailer and set them in the ground after the holes are dug.  Believe me a  45 gal container with at least a 14 foot tree takes a big hole and the tree and ball are very heavy.

No, this was not a planned activity for today,  we went to Mexia for lunch and saw a sign that advertised a tree farm nearby…Roy loves cypress trees and has planted several small one, which the beavers cut down immediately.   Well, this time he says the beavers will need dental work if they try to take one of these down.  Last night he made 4ft high bull wire cages to put around each tree.   Now he says the fight is on!!!!!

 

beaver

I don’t have the heart to show him this cartoon, he has worked to hard yesterday and the work is not over.

Pictures of the Big Planting will be forthcoming.

See Y’all,

Barbara

  PS I got an email from  a cheese company yesterday that makes goat cheese and they have lots of great recipes, which I will share with you after I learn more about their company and try their cheese.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Hi Barbara

What a lovely blog you have here...and could your TX life be any more different than mine in NY? I loved looking around here nad reading all about your goats--very cool! I am such a fan of goat cheese. LOVE IT! What a great flavor!

I will definetely be back-enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

DEAR BARBARA,
I AM SOOOO VERY SORRY FOR LITTLE MAN. HE WAS SO SWEET. I JUST COULDN'T HAVE ANIMALS LIKE THAT...THEY WOULD ALL BE NAMED AND HAVE LITTLE COLLARS...DON'T BLAME YOURSELF, YOU BROUGHT HIM IN AND TOOK CARE OF HIM
YOU HAVE ALOT OF WORK AHEAD OF YOU,
WORMING THOSE GOATS. HOW LONG DOES THAT TAKE...
MY MOTHER AND DADDY HAVE A CYPRESS TREE IN THEIR YARD. THEY ARE SO PRETTY...IT GETS KINDA SHOCKY IN THE HOT SUMMER BUT IT IS 22 YEARS OLD NOW AND WELL-ESTABLISHED.
ONCE AGAIN, I AM SORRY ABOUT LITTLE MAN.
BLESSINGS
debbie